Wednesday 12 August 2009

Synchronicity

How bizarre. I'm doing character sketches for my new book and I decided that one of them had inherited a rather nice country house, possibly in Hampshire. I've never been to Hampshire, although it felt right for this character.
The name 'Furze House' popped in to my head. I wasn't entirely sure what 'furze' was, so I checked in the dictionary and discovered that it's a type of gorse. Hmm, I wasn't sure if there were any areas of Hampshire where gorse would grow, so I googled 'furze' and 'Hampshire'. To my surprise, there's a place called 'Furze Hill'.
I read somewhere where another writer said guess first and check later and it does seem to work, just letting your mind run loose and seeing what pops in there...worked uncannily well this time, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment