Thursday 6 August 2009

Beginning a new writing project

I've been stuffing papers in a box whilst I was writing my last novel. Today I looked through the box and there are a couple of possibilities - one which needs some research, so I've requested a library book to read up on 'something' - note I'm not really sharing what, since I subscribe to the view that books are like mushrooms and grow best in the dark....
The other possibility was just a strong image which I jotted down in one of the creative writing sessions at The Bowery, and it seemed like it might lead somewhere, so I've scribbled a few more ideas about that, too.
I realized that I was a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of beginning something new, and the child-like part of me wants some kind of guarantee that the roads will lead somewhere, and is resistant to beginning anew.
Luckily another part of me understands that I just have to begin somewhere, and I'm repeating the phrase that a book is written a word at a time, and nothing is really wasted along the way.
So, all you budding novelists - get scribbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment